There are many things that I've learned and have reflected upon during this two weeks. To keep record I will share them here:
1. Take one moment at a time, if I start future-tripping I get overwhelmed and with all the extra hormones lots of crying ensues.
2. Simplify- food, shelter, clothing and safety. That's it. All the rest will happen if those are completed, those are not only requirements for Annaleigh but also for mom and dad.
3. Have no expectations. Easier said than done
4. Listen to my body- when to eat, sleep, hydrate.
5. Trust my instincts on taking care of Annaleigh
6. What's the highest priority at the time, living in the moment.
7. Be flexible about my own thoughts and convictions and desires as compared to advise given by family and friends, nurses, doctors etc (pacifiers and formula etc) because sometimes what's important at the moment for Annaleigh might be to use the pacifier during meltowns or formula if need to supplement. Listen to Annaleigh and her needs at the time. They can and will change and she may not need those coping ways all of the time.
8. I will always be given advise but I need to learn to listen to myself and my instincts and be ok with trying new calming techniques etc. Not all will work all of the time. It just depends on Annaleigh's needs and what she will accept for help.
9. Keep trying to stay calm and work towards that.
10. The hardest thing is to relax and be calm when there is a lack of sleep and stress so work towards getting more even if just cat naps and ask for help to relieve stress. Be ok with asking for help.
11. Get enough to eat and drink which will help milk production but most important is rest and relaxing.
12. Make lists which will allow me to download my thoughts on paper get to them when time and opportunity converge.
13. voice mail is a lovely invention for new parents. It's perfectly ok to let it ring and call the person back if you're feeding or just too tired to talk. Everyone will understand.
I think the list taking has helped me the most (well it's up there anyway). Things that I've written about: What to put in a diaper bag, what is our regular grocery list in case someone wants to pick something up for us on their way over, calming techniques, feedings, to do's, goals, questions for medical, a want to do list, things those that want to help can around the house, list of those that I can call to help and what they are able to do (take a few hours so I can nap etc)
Me on computer right now typing blog and Annaleigh sleeping in the sling. =)

6 comments:
It's so fun to read about your life as a new mom! Sounds like you're handling things well. You can add me to the list of people to call for help. :)
What a sweet picture!! You sound like you are doing great. There's no easy answer for the first six weeks, especially with your first baby. I always considered it a matter of survival, just taking it one day at a time. Your list is perfect. Only you know what's best for your baby and your family. One thing is certain, your baby is not lacking for love!!!
thanks girls but really doing well between the puddles of tears. =) Those darn hormones!!!!!!!!! But I'll put you on the list to call even if just to hear an adult voice. =)
You're doing great, Celeste! It was so good to see you today. Hayley keeps asking for the "dee-dee." Hope we didn't wear you out too much! Call me when you need to! I'll talk to you soon.
My doctor calls the first six weeks survival mode, and boy is he right! I was a mess of tears during that time. There IS a light at the end of the tunnel, things DO get better (although it seems as though those sleepless nights will never end, they will)! Enjoy your little one one, she is beautiful! You are a great mommy!
Oh, the tears. I don't think I knew what hit me when they started flooding out. You've got it with trusting your instincts. That's a very valuable gift we have as mothers.
You look amazing! It only gets better!
Post a Comment